New funding available for landlords to cover costs of unpaid rent due to COVID-19
Emergency relief funding is now available to owners of rental housing in Hennepin and Dakota Counties. To help cover costs of unpaid rent, rental property owners can apply for housing assistance funds on behalf of tenants who have been financially impacted by COVID-19.
While there is a current moratorium on evictions in the state of Minnesota, rent is still due and tenants will be responsible for unpaid rent once the moratorium is lifted.
This funding is intended to:
- Prevent tenant evictions and rising homelessness
- Reduce rental property foreclosures, sales, and rent increases
- Stabilize affordable housing owners at a time when there may be new costs to implement public health measures for tenants and employees
- Stabilize affordable housing rental markets and preserve affordable housing options into the future
Eligible applicants include housing rental property owners in Hennepin and Dakota counties who can:
- Document uncollected rent from March 1 through the application date
- Demonstrate that units for which assistance is being sought is affordable to households with incomes below 80% AMI (e.g. $1,448 for a single bedroom unit) (Hennepin only)
- Provide tenant attestations of inability to pay rent due to COVID-19
More information and the online application form is available: