The Access & Opportunity priority area facilitates and coordinates actions to reduce barriers to families’ choice in housing. Working closely with private and public partners, we identify and develop policies and innovative programs to alleviate barriers that limit access to housing across the region
The Access and Opportunity priority area focuses on people based interventions that support:
- Improved stability of low-income families by reducing evictions.
- Improved quality and safety of the region’s rental units.
- Expanded access for low-income renters to live in areas of opportunity.
Our work in this area includes:
- Leading collaborative efforts in Ramsey County and Hennepin County to reduce evictions by 50 percent.
- Developing strategies, together with regulatory services and other partners, to address habitability in inferior or neglected rental properties. Identifying and training community-based administrators who can intervene in distressed properties when appointed by Court order.
- Developing and implementing strategies to increase property owner/manager participation in the Housing Choice Voucher program, in follow-up to our Owners and Managers Creating Opportunity